Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My baby boy's trauma

So most of you already know that Dreyton has been admitted into the hospital yesterday evening. Lee first noticed something was wrong with him when he was giving Zoë and Dreyton a bath at 7pm on Monday night. He noticed a huge lump on the right side of Dreytons head and when you touched it, it felt all soft like liquid instead of hard like a skull should be. So Lee rushes to me and tells me if I had noticed it before and of course I hadn't so I rushed to the phone and called 911. The paramedics got here a few minutes later and they said it doesn't look like anything serious and we should maybe go see our family doctor the following day. I didn't believe a word they said as there was a massive softball lump on my boys head and I shouldn't be worried? So instead of having them drive Dreyton to the hospital for a few hundred dollars we left to the Children's hospital in our vehicle as soon as the paramedics left.
We get to the ER and get ready to sit for hours as it was a packed room, but instead we get rushed ahead of people who have been waiting over 10 hours and get a room right away. We had a couple of nurses, and resident doctors look at him and none of them could figure out what it was so they went and got some advice from a more experienced doctor and he ordered some tests to be done. I then had Lee go home with Zoë so she could go to bed as it was almost 10pm while Dreyton and I waited for tests. The first test was going to be a catscan to get a closer look inside, they said he would have to be put asleep and we would have to wait a couple of hours after taking his bottle before we could do it. Dreyton fell asleep not too long after so one of the nurses said we should try do the catscan while he was asleep. He was perfectly still the whole time and they were able to do the scan without him getting put asleep.
When the results came in the doctor told me that he had a fracture in his skull in two place and in the middle of those two places his skull had been pushed in a bit. I was in absolute shock when he told me this as Lee and I could not figure out how he had gotten a fractured skull. There had been no big trauma at all, just small ones that are normal for a 8 mos. old active baby. He was happy all day and nothing seemed to be indifferent. The brain surgeon told us that he doesn't think the brain was damaged at all but we would have to wait a few weeks to make sure once the swelling had gone down. Dreyton has been amazing through all of this, he's still extremely happy and smiley. He will be in the hospital for at least another day until they can get x-rays done and other tests and consultations. Lee met his dad and sister in Red Deer to bring Zoë to Calgary for a couple of days so we are able to take care of just Dreyton and get some sleep in the next couple of days.

If you look on the right side of Dreyton's head you can see that it is all puffy and sticks out quite a bit

Dreyton playing with all the bandages covering his IV

Each time Dreyton fell asleep last night it seemed like a doctor came in a few minutes later to wake him up again, he was exhausted after we finally had gotten a room for him out of the ER.

6 comments:

  1. Your baby boys trauma is more YOUR trauma...thats for sure. Rest assured your baby girl is loving being here, talking a mile a minute and very excited. Bath time and bedtime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little guy! I hope you guys are doing okay. Let us know if you need anything. I had a great ol' time with your little doll yesterday. She is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Kristi! I'm so glad he's doing well. Good luck with everything!
    - Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so sad. Hope everything turns out OK. What a little trooper to go through all those tests. My email is missykarren@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kristy i don't have your email address for my blog. how is dreyton doing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my Kristy. That's horrible news. I hope he's doing ok now. I know that would've freaked out like you did. When I was watching the twins a few years ago(I get to babysit them on Sept. 13), Chad got his leg through the rails in his crib. And it was stuck because of his knee. It was swollen right away. I managed to get it out a few minutes later. He was freaking out, so I took him downstairs and put an icepack on it for 10-15 mins. I immediately told Angie what happened when her and Ian got home.

    ReplyDelete